- Themes: Choices, Communication, Identity, Alcohol.
- Explain the setting (time, place, circumstances) and its significance.
- Describe the characters.
- What type(s) of conflict exist in the story?
- What literary devices does Ernest Hemingway use? Locate as many as possible.
- Are there any symbols in this story? (Hint: yes) What could be symbolic, and what is the higher meaning behind it?
- Explore one of the themes of the story in a well written paragraph. What is Hemingway trying to tell us about one of these themes?