Vocabulary: Find the meaning for the following words and write one paragraph that uses all 6 words correctly.
- Why does Pony have a problem with Johnny’s idea to disguise themselves?
- What does Pony mean when he says, “I was supposed to be the deep one”?
- Why does Johnny think Dally is a hero? Do you think Dally is a hero based on what he did?
- Why does Pony realize he doesn’t like Dally? Can you explain what he means by this?
- Examine Robert Frost’s poem, “Nothing Gold Can Stay.” What do you think the poem is saying? How might this apply to the characters in the novel?
- On page 78, Johnny compares Pony and his brothers to their parents. Which one of your parents are you most like? What similarities do you share?
- What’s a ‘heater’? Why does Dally have one?
- Why are the Socs and the Greasers going to fight in the vacant lot?
- Who’s the spy for the Greasers? Does this surprise you? Why or why not?
- What characteristics make up a hero? What does it take to be considered one? Is there anybody in your life that you consider to be a hero? Answer in a full paragraph.