- How does what the doctor first says foreshadow Johnny’s condition?
- What two things does Johnny want Two-Bit and Pony to bring him?
- “We needed Johnny as much as he needed the gang. And for the same reason”. What do you think Pony means, and what is the reason?
- What does Pony mean when he says, “we could get along without anyone but Johnny”?
- If Darry didn’t have Soda and Pony, why would he be a Soc?
- What does Cherry mean when she says Bob “wasn’t just anyone”?
- Gone With the Wind is a book about the American Civil War. Why do you think S.E. Hinton chose to include this book within her own?
- When Pony asks what kind of a world it is, what comment is he making about how society judges people?
- Why do the boys fight? Why is Pony different?
- What is the difference between Tim Sheppard’s gang and Ponyboy’s? Explain how Pony feels this difference might give his group the upper hand?
- What are the rules of the fight? How many Greasers and Socs show up?
- What two things are Greasers proud of?
- Summarize the events of the rumble. What is the eventual outcome?
- How does Dally trick the police officer?
- What are Johnny’s last words, and what do you think Johnny’s last words to Pony mean?
- How should Mr. Peters spend the $5 he is absolutely going to win?