Vocabulary: Find the meaning for the following words and write one paragraph that uses all 6 words correctly.
- How does Pony’s dreaming, or lying to himself, finally work in this chapter?
- What does Ponyboy mean when he says “It was only yesterday… but yesterday was years ago. A lifetime ago”?
- Why was Johnny’s dying so difficult for Dally to handle?
- Why do you think Dally would have wanted to die?
- Why does Ponyboy want to know if he asked for Darry when he was sick?
- Explain why Pony might rather have anyone’s hate than their pity?
- What do you think is going on with Ponyboy when he says, “Johnny didn’t have anyhing to do with Bob’s getting killed”?
- What is significant about Darry calling Ponyboy “little buddy”?
- What ‘circumstances’ do Ponyboy’s teacher refer to? What circumstances does Ponyboy think his teacher is referring to?
- Why doesn’t Ponyboy feel scared when the Socs approach him and he threatens them with a broken bottle? How is this a dramatic change from the Ponyboy we have seen up until this point?
- What does Darry mean when he says, “you don’t just stop living because you lose someone”?
- How do we know Sandy didn’t love Soda as much as he loved her?
- Explain how Darry and Ponyboy play tug of war with Soda.
- What do we learn was so special about Johnny?
- What does Ponyboy end up doing for his English assignment?